- 2018-08-22 On 22 August at 9.05 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is giving a welcome speech at the President Valdas Adamkus Conference 2018 "Restoring European and Transatlantic Resilience".
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August at 10.30 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the participants of the project "Students - to the Government".
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in a government meeting and sitting.
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in the President Valdas Adamkus Conference 2018 "Restoring European and Transatlantic Resilience".
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in the round table discussion "Transatlantic Response to Russia’s Hybrid Actions".
EU foreign affairs ministers and defence ministers open the door to the new European security and defence cooperation
On 13 November, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius participated in the EU’s Foreign Affairs Council meeting in Brussels, during which foreign affairs ministers and defence ministers focused on the African Union - EU Summit and the implementation of the EU Global Strategy in the area of security and defence.
Lithuania’s Foreign Minister Linkevičius and the Minister of National Defence Raimundas Karoblis signed a notification, marking the first step in the establishment of a permanent structured cooperation (PESCO). In the framework of the PESCO, Lithuania proposes strengthening cooperation in the field of cyber defence, supports projects initiated by other countries, such as facilitating the movement of forces in Europe and the development of a common logistic infrastructure.
The Council also discussed other new initiatives of the Common Security and Defence Policy – a Coordinated Annual Review on Defence and the European Defence Fund. Minister Linkevičius emphasized the importance of the EU-NATO cooperation and the need to further expand the list of cooperation areas, laying special emphasis on hybrid threats and cyber defence.
The Council discussed preparations for the 5th African Union - EU Summit. The event will take place on 29-30 November in Côte d'Ivoire.
“Relations with the African continent have to be shaped through trade and investment. We must help young people in Africa to build their future by enhancing their entrepreneurial skills, especially in the field of agriculture, as well as help African countries to develop information and renewable energy technologies,” said Linkevičius. Lithuania’s Foreign Minister also reminded that Lithuanian peacekeepers were taking part in four UN and EU missions in Africa and, thus, contributed to peace and security goals.
For more information, please read here.