Citizenship of Lithuania
A citizen of the Republic of Lithuania may be a citizen of another state at the same time, provided he meets at least one of the following conditions:
- He has acquired citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania and citizenship of another state at birth and he has not reached 21 years of age;
- He is a person who held citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania before 15 June 1940 or his descendant (child, grandchild or great-grandchild), who were forcibly expelled from Lithuania by decisions of institutions or courts of occupation regimes in the period from 15 June 1940 to 11 March 1990 for reasons of resistance to occupation regimes, political or social reasons or reasons of origin and acquired citizenship of another state;
- He is a person who held citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania before 15 June 1940 or his descendant (child, grandchild or great-grandchild), who left the current territory of the Republic of Lithuania before 11 March 1990 to reside permanently in another state, if their permanent residence on 11 March 1990 was outside Lithuania and acquired citizenship of another state;
- He is a descendant of a person referred to in subparagraph 2 or 3;
- By virtue of marriage to a citizen of another state he has ipso facto acquired citizenship of that state;
- He is a person under 21 years of age, provided he was adopted by citizens (citizen) of the Republic of Lithuania before reaching 18 years of age and, as a result of the adoption, acquired citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania pursuant;
- He is a person under 21 years of age, provided he, being a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania, was adopted by citizens (citizen) of another state before reaching 18 years of age and, as a result of the adoption, acquired citizenship of that state;
- He has acquired citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania by way of exception while being a citizen of another state;
- He has acquired citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania while having refugee status in the Republic of Lithuania.
- You must apply in person.
- The incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Please note that every document which was not issued in Lithuania has to be certified by Apostille. Only passports do not have to be certified in any way.
- Every document which was not issued in Lithuania has to be translated into Lithuanian (except for passports). You or a translator who is known to the Embassy has to certify in written and in Lithuanian that he/she knows Lithuanian language and certifies the translation to be true, write the name and sign. No other form of certification is required.
List of the Documents
- Application form.
- Valid passport (passports if more than 1 citizenship).
- Documents which prove that you are a child, grandchild or great grandchild of the person in part 6.*
- Documents proving that you, one of your parents, one of your grandparents or one of your great grandparents (a person who was Lithuanian citizen before 06/15/1940) left Lithuania before 03/11/1990 or he/she was a deportee or political prisoner (determined only by Genocide and Resistance Research Center of Lithuania) and that thei accuired citizneship of a foreign country.
- Consular fee.
Documents certifying that you, one of your parents, one of your grandparents or one of your great grandparents held citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania before 06/15/1940 (may be obtainable at the archives):
- The surviving internal or foreign passport of the Republic of Lithuania issued before 06/15/1940.
- Foreign passports of the Republic of Lithuania issued by the diplomatic missions or consular posts of the Republic of Lithuania after 06/15/1940.
- Documents on military service in the Republic of Lithuania or on being employed in state service of the Republic of Lithuania.
- Lithuanian certificate of birth or other documents (issued in Lithuania) giving direct reference to the citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania.
- Identity cards issued according to the documents issued in Lithuania before 06/15/1940. If there is no such document, the following documents may be submitted: documents concerning studies, work, life in Lithuania prior to 06/15/1940; a sworn statement approved by a notary or an official of the consular post.
*The documents which prove the relationship with the grandfather/grandmother for example would be:
Your name is Jane Saule Johnson and you were born in the US in 1972 to a Lithuanian mother who was born in Germany in 1948 to Lithuanian parents who were citizens of Lithuania before 06/15/1940 and fled it in 1944. They got married in Germany in 1947. You provide:
- Your marriage certificate (between Jane Saule Stockton and William Johnson).
- Your birth certificate (Jane Saule Stockton) with your parents in it: Michael Stockton and Zita Stockton.
- Your mothers marriage certificate between Zita Petrauskas and Michael Stockton.
- The document proving your mother's name change from Zita Petrauskaite to Zita Petrauskas.
- Your mother's birth certificate (Zita Petrauskaitė) with your grand parents in it: Jonas Petrauskas and Veronika Petrauskienė.
- Jonas Petrauskas' Lithuanian passport issued in 1937 in Kaunas, or:
- Your grandmother's (Veronika Kazlauskaitė) birth certificate and her marriage certificate with Jonas Petrauskas.
If the documents confirming your or your parents, grandparents or great grandparents previously held Lithuanian citizenship are missing
If the applicant has no documents confirming the fact that he/she (his/her parents, grandparents or great grandparents) held Lithuanian citizenship prior to 15 June 1940, there is a possibility to find such information in Lithuanian archives. Therefore the applicant has to contact:
Lithuanian Central State Archives for documents confirming held Lithuanian citizenship
|Address:||O. Milašiaus 21, LT-10102, Vilnius, Lithuania|
|Telephone:||+370 5 247 7811|
|Website:||Lithuanian Central State Archives|
Lithuanian State Historical Archives for vital records (birth, marriage and death) up to 1940
|Address:||Gerosios Vilties 10, LT-03134 Vilnius, Lithuania|
|Telephone:||+370 5 213 7482|
|Website:||Lithuanian State Historical Archives|