- 2018-11-19 On 18-19 November, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius is taking part in the General Affairs Council (Art. 50) meeting in Brussels
- 2018-11-19 On 19 November at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is attending the Foreign Affairs Council in Brussels
- 2018-11-19 On 19 November at 10:00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in a seminar on the delegation of police officers to the European Union, international institutions, operations, and missions
- 2018-11-19 On 19 November at 3:00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is attending the Foreign Affairs Council (Defence) in Brussels
- 2018-11-20 On 20 November at 10:00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in political consultations with Egyptian officials
Lithuania‘s Foreign and Defense Ministers, the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State discuss military and energy security issues
On 31 October in Vilnius, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius, the Minister of National Defense Raimundas Karoblis met with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Wess Mitchell and discussed issues of strengthening regional security, bilateral cooperation, and support for Eastern partners.
The Lithuanian representatives emphasized the need to implement decisions taken at the NATO summit, in particular with regard to better preparation to respond rapidly to crises, strengthening air defense of the Baltic Sea region, and other spheres of security.
L. Linkevičius thanked the U.S. and A. W. Mitchell for his personal efforts to address security issues of the Baltic states and requested further support in tackling these issues. According to Lithuania‘s Foreign Minister, a permanent presence of the U.S. troops in our region remains the goal of Lithuania.
During the conversation, a lot of attention was devoted to energy, information and other hybrid threats, including the construction of an unsafe Ostrovets nuclear power plant. According to L. Linkevičius, these problems can only be solved through joint efforts. Thus, Lithuania is interested in closer cooperation with the United States.
The meeting also discussed further efforts to change Russia's aggressive policies, such as sanctions, and support for Ukraine.